Thursday, July 25, 2013

Running Confessions & Suggestions

I have a confession to make...

I've totally slacked on my running this summer. 

FL summers are too hot, and since I'm a teacher, I'm totally out of routine.  I'm staying up too late so I don't want to run in the morning when it's cooler and by the end of the day, I'm too exhausted and hate running at night.

A lot of excuses, I know.

So that's it.  I know it's a slump & pre-school week starts up in exactly 1 week.  I'll get back into the swing of things this next week for sure.

How do you handle your slumps?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In other news, I've had several friends ask how to get started.

First thought that comes to mind, "YAY!! You will love it and do so great!"

Second thought, "INTERVALS!"

After coming back to running after a many year hiatus & two pregnancies, my standby routine is to do intervals of walking and running.  I bought the book Complete Book of Women's Running and used their starter plan either verbatim or my own slightly modified version each time.

The intervals look like this, (taken from Running 101 on Runner's World's Website):

"If you're starting from a low fitness level, we recommend you begin with several weeks of walking for 20 to 30 minutes at a time before attempting Week 1. Also, if you have not exercised for a long time, are overweight, or have existing or family health problems, see your physician before you begin this program.
Week Run Walk Repeat Total Time
1 1 min 2 min 7x 21 min
2 1 min 1 min 10x 20 min
3 2 min 1 min 7x 21 min
4 3 min 1 min 5x 20 min
5 4 min 1 min 4x 20 min
6 6 min 1 min 3x 21 min
7 9 min 1 min 2x 20 min
8 12 min 1 min Then run 7 min 20 min
9 15 min 1 min Then run 4 min 20 min
10 20 min
Leap for joy
20 min
Note: Always warm up for your workout with a couple minutes of walking and/or slow jogging, and cool down afterward with the same. If you cannot reach 20 minutes of continuous running, try to run 8 or 9 minutes, walk 1 or 2 minutes, and repeat. When you succeed at reaching the 20-minute goal-and you will-gradually increase your distance to whatever level you choose."

And that's it! 

It produces great results.  I loved it because I didn't feel like a failure when walking because I was SUPPOSED to walk.

As a former runner coming back to the sport, that was a big deal. I had this idea in my head of how I used to run and of my old fitness ability, so when I would go out and run and have to walk because I was dying, I felt defeated and wouldn't run again for months.

The interval training changed that! I'm going on 4 years of consistent running now (albeit with a couple of slumps, mostly due to post-half marathon blues ~ stopping because pregnancy doesn't count in my opinion) and it's because I've been able to give myself a little grace.

What did you do when you started running or came back to running?

4 comments:

  1. HI Kelsy! So, during Week 1 How many times do you repeat the running/walking cycle? Every day? 5 days a week? I'm very interested in this. I need to exercise, but I need someone to hold me accountable too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vanessa! Hi! I started with 3-4 times a week. Even now I can't run more than 4 without my health taking a hit. (Granted I'm running much more now than I was then, but it's the same effort really.) The other days you can crosstrain (bike, swim, strength train, yoga), but make at least 1 day a dedicated rest/recovery day.

      Delete
    2. And feel free to update your training here!! :) or find me on Nike+

      Delete
  2. I think I am going to start with Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I can get up at 5:15am and have it done before hubby has to leave for work at 6:00am. I just needed a "set thing" to do. It seems like ever since S turned one I am sick constantly and I am sure it is stress beating my body down. I'm excited and I will definitely keep you posted.

    ReplyDelete