Saturday, July 13, 2013

Planning Ahead: Looking at the School Year

So, if you haven't noticed, my life is busy. 

What mother's life isn't? What full time working mom's life isn't? 

Last year, in order to be able to run consistently, I had a crazy schedule I had to adhere to. 


Obviously, there was very little room for error in that schedule. If I hit snooze, I wouldn't make it to my run. Sometimes I had to cut my pump session short to make it out the door which would result in clogged ducts later that day. 

I'm also not a good "at the end of the day runner". After school nights are a rush to get dinner on the table and oftentimes I'm a "single mom" since HS basketball season makes me a widow. Hungry littles don't make good running partners and, quite frankly, I'm beat after a full day of teaching firsties. All that means I probably won't get out the door at night. I know myself too well. 

This year will only be slightly different as I won't have to pump before my run. I'll still have to get up crazy early to get in 4-5 miles before coming home to start our crazy morning routine. 

Last year I tried to not do anything in the morning I didn't have to. Lunch was either purchased at school or made the night before. Bottles and the girls' school bag was packed the night before. I can't do clothes because #1 is so particular. I'll do the same this year to make life that much easier. 

Although I'm not a morning person, my early schedule was the only way to make it work without hiring a sitter 3 nights a week. 

Full-time working mamas, what do you do to alleviate the morning stress? 

How do you fit in your run during the day?


2 comments:

  1. It's amazing the sacrifices we make to run! Non-runners just think we're crazy, but it's so worth it! When I have a 4:xx wake up call, I sleep in my sports bar and running shorts. I know it only saves me a minute, but it also motivates me to get out the door since I'm already partially dressed for the part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean! I used to do the same until I was pumping for the littles. Can't wear a sports bra for too long without asking for either decreased supply or clogged ducts! But now that I've weaned from the pump, I've gotta get back into that habit.

      Delete