Thursday, January 3, 2013

New Year's Running Resolutions, Part Deux

After my review of my previously set goals (that were not New Year's Resolutions), I'm now ready to reveal my 2013 Running Resolutions...

Drum roll please...

Training
1) Run 4-5 times a week.
2) Complete one speed workout per week.
3) One long run per week.
4) Incorporate strength training on off days.

If this looks very familiar, it should.  I didn't change much here as I think all parts are important. I accomplished half of my training goals from August. Also I learned that during the weeks leading up to a half or full marathon, speedwork really shouldn't play a huge (or any) part; especially if you are trying to accumulate the mileage like I was. Per running great, Hal Higdon:

"Speedwork is generally classified as training done faster than race pace. Different forms of speedwork include interval training on the track, fast repeats done on the road or track and tempo runs or fartlek. This form of training can help you run faster, but it can also increase your risk of injury if you overdo it. Be safe. Unless you are an advanced runner, save your speed training for periods outside the 18-week marathon buildup."

Times
1) 22 minute 5k
2) 1:45 half marathon
3) 48 minute 10k

It may seem like I've lost confidence in my ability to achieve a certain time. These are just more realistic goals for 2013. My dream times remain the same as previously posted in my August goal setting post.

Races
January: Naples 1/2 Marathon
February: FGCU 10k and Edison 5k
March: Hooters 1/2 Marathon and Race for the Cure 5k
April: 10k Run for the Music (Naples)
May: Turtle Trot 5k (Lover's Key)
June-August: This is the off-season, but I plan on completing the 2 mile fun runs put on by FMTC.


I, of course, have my parenting resolutions and other personal ones which I'll update this blog with later.

No comments:

Post a Comment