Monday, January 25, 2010

Pregnant and still running...?

After my amazing run on Monday of last week...I experienced some bleeding and got a little scared - I did my research, of course, before calling the midwife - and sure enough, everything suggested that I call...

...so I did and what did I find out??

That I probably bruised my cervix.  No harm, no foul as the midwife couldn't see anything wrong and the baby has been happily kicking away at my bladder all week, but when I mentioned that I ran, she wasn't all that happy and said that she never lets her patients run.

Now this leads me to think because I've read of plenty of women running well into their 8th month with no adverse affects...

Did I just push it too hard on Monday?
And if that's the case, can I still continue to run while pregnant as long as I take it easy and listen to my body?

I had been running a leisurely 10 min/mi pace with my school running buddy the past 2-3 months, but on Monday with my husband I totally killed it with an 8:20 min/mi which is the fastest I've run in a long time.  I really was enjoying running while pregnant and had experienced nothing like that until the Tuesday/Wednesday bleeding episode.  It's not like I'm new to running - I've been doing it for years off and on - and I've been running consistently since before I was showing and semi-consistently since before I was pregnant.

The funny thing is that my husband was the one who really wanted me to consult the midwife about my running regime, and then later asked if I was participating in the church 5k that's coming up.  I told him no as I didn't want to walk in the 5k - too depressing having been recently told not to run and I'm too stubborn as I've never had to walk in a 5k - he then said, "well the pace you were running with your school running buddy was probably ok"...lol, gotta love my husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment